Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Latest Piece


Ever have one of those pieces where it just falls together, practically making itself, then *BAM* one, final thing stumps you?  That's how I feel about this necklace.  Here's my latest, made from scraps: a leftover bead mix, a re-purposed bit of chain, and a pendant I've sat on for a while, waiting for the right piece to form around it.


The pendant is really special, something I found at AC Moore a few years ago and filled it with tiny treasures.




A dried flower, a watch gear, a sea shell, and a tiny scroll of the famous lines from "Cymbeline" :

 Fear no more the heat o’ the sun,
    Nor the furious winter’s rages;
Thou thy worldly task hast done,
    Home art gone, and ta’en thy wages;
Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.
 (IV.II.329-334, Bartleby.com has the 1914 version I quoted from)



The bead mix was truly a magpie's nest affaire - I have a bit of everything in there!  And there's little rhyme, less reason - I sprinkled the beads on the beadboard, and scooched them into the channels to hold them still for stringing.  There was very, very little deliberate positioning.



I'm pretty pleased with the colors, the amount of textures - and it's a light, wearable piece.  Nothing's overpowering, except...



That piece of sky blue embroidery floss.  It's there for a bit of color, and to hold all of the strands together at the top of the bail, to keep  them from sliding around.  It seemed like such a good idea, and I've really been eager to get more textiles into my work.  But does this work or not?  Should I pick the knot out and try a bit of vintage lace, or splurge on some seam binding?  I want that full feeling of satisfaction, knowing the piece is done.  But apparently that's not to be for a while. 

While I chew on this problem, enjoy Loreena McKennitt's divine interpretation of the Cymbeline speech!  (If there was going to be one artist I'd want to make a soundtrack for my life, it's her)

No comments:

Post a Comment